Parents as Teachers is an early learning program designed to provide practical and timely information to all families including single parents, first-time parents and expectant parents. Parent Educators share age-appropriate child development information, address parenting concerns, and engage the family in activities. In addition, we coordinate group connections, screening, playgroups and provide resources.
Being a parent is a lot more fun and much less stressful if:
- You know how your child grows and develops.
- You know how to encourage your child so he/she will get a great start in life.
What does PAT do?
We help parents understand child development and connect them to the resources they need to make the best choices for their families. We offer personal visits customized for the needs of your family. Together on each visit we’ll look at your child’s development and talk about the parenting challenges you face right now, think about family dynamics impacting your child’s development, and build strong protective factors to keep you, your child and your family healthy, strong and resilient.
- Personal Visits: Parent Educators share age-appropriate child development information, address parenting concerns and engage the family in parent-child activities.
- Group Connections: Group Connections provide opportunities to share information about parenting issues and child development.
- Screenings: Annual developmental, health, vision and hearing screenings provide for early identification of delays that could interfere with learning.
- Resource Network: Parent Educators help families identify and connect with needed resources and overcome barriers to accessing services.
- Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library: All children are enrolled free of charge in Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library and receive an age-appropriate book mailed to their home each month.
How do you know it works?
Parents as Teachers is known for its “evidence-based” model, which means the program has proven to be effective based on outcomes and the results of rigorous evaluations. Parents as Teachers children are healthy, safe and ready to learn.
- They score higher on kindergarten readiness tests.
- They’re better problem solvers.
- They’re more advanced in language and social development.