The Greenbush Interdisciplinary Autism Team aims to help remove barriers to accessing diagnostic developmental appointments for children in the southeast Kansas area. The team provides evaluations for ages 18 months to 5 years in partnership with local pediatricians and the University of Kansas Center for Childhood Health and Development (CCHD).
Early Childhood Special Educators
Early Childhood Educators
Functional Education Teachers
How it Works
1. The Autism Diagnostic Team evaluates children 5 years of age and younger. The evaluation is completed at Greenbush using standardized tests, behavioral observation and information from parents, early interventionists, teachers, and others who know the child personally.
2. The team reviews the results of the evaluation to determine whether the child meets the criteria for an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. All team findings are culminated into a report for the team pediatrician.
3. A second appointment is made with a partnering pediatrician or the University of Kansas CCHD telemedicine clinic, based on family preference. The partnering medical provider, if appropriate, will provide an autism diagnosis.
If you have autism concerns for a child over the age of 5, it is recommended that you speak with your child’s physician and academic team about your concerns and testing options. Some school districts do provide autism testing.
Make a Referral
1. Referrals to the autism team can be made by medical professionals or the child’s academic or early intervention team. It is recommended that a screening for autism be completed prior to the referral. Appropriate autism screening tools include: MCHAT-R (for children 16-30 months of age), an Ages and Stages Social Emotional Questionnaire, and the ASRS (Autism Spectrum Rating Scales).
2. Following a positive screening, complete the Autism Evaluation Referral.
If your child is over the age of 3, you can request an evaluation for special education services by calling your local school district and requesting a “Child Find Screening.”
Contact information for area special education cooperatives:
Tri-County Special Education Cooperative
USD 235 Uniontown
USD 246 Northeast (Arma)
USD 247 Cherokee
USD 248 Girard
USD 249 Frontenac
USD 250 Pittsburg
USD 404 Riverton
USD 493 Columbus
USD 499 Galena
USD 504 Oswego
USD 505 Chetopa/St. Paul
USD 506 Labette County
USD 508 Baxter Springs
Contact SEK Interlocal: 620.235.3180